Thursday, November 24, 2011

WoW 11/25

Write On Wednesdays
Exercise 25 - I heard a song on the radio during the week and I thought the lyrics would make an interesting prompt for WoW. So, write the words "The saddest thing I ever heard" on your page, set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words that come into your head based on the given prompt.
It was the saddest thing I'd ever heard, and oddly enough, I don't even remember the words.  Some meaningless barb about the usual....his money, his dick, the way he helped around the house, or didn't.  Whatever.  I remember the way she laughed afterwords, though, her bleached white teeth glinting ferally in the light.  Feral is the word.  Lionine.  She was all veldt with her expertly tinted hair, her bronzed skin, the hammered gold cuff on her dainty wrist.  I know that I have never felt more like a sheep than I did at that moment, surrounded by the other veteran wives in our Army baseball caps and T-shirts - gifts from husbands who had access to no more than a PX and five minutes of their time.  Dumpy, helpless, bleating.  Feeling awkward, we picked at the heaping plates of nachos, wings, and gummy mozzarella sticks,  suddenly aware of the extra pounds the deployments - the loneliness - had put on us.  What made it so unspeakably awful was the way his shoulders drooped.  Those shoulders had carried 70 plus pounds for days on end and this woman could wither them with a word.  And something in his eyes told us this wasn't the first time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment