Thursday, November 17, 2011

WoW 11/17


After months of encouragement, my dear friend talked me into joining write on Wednesdays over at ink paper pen.  I got so addicted to reading other peoples work that soon I had to join in the fun. I I restarted my writing website (abandonded after by book stopped selling and I stuck my little literary ostrich head in the sand), and off we go..  This is my first of what I hope to be many WoWs.
The Fight
Mind over matter.  I can do this.  I fight the urge to bend over double as yet another wave of pain pummels me.  Stand up straight. Act normal. Breathe.  It’s just your imagination. It’s not really happening.   Oh, but it is.    It’s happened before.  I know how it will end.  Even so, I do dishes, sweep the floor, sing along with the radio louder than necessary – belting out the lyrics like and a child hiding under the blankets to keep out the dark.  The pain is lower now.  I clench my womanhood like a fist; look through a book of names.  A name.  To name something is to make it real.  Maybe the right name will be what ittakes.  A spark.  Deep down I know that it will only make itworse.  In the arena of my mind that I don't care to visit often, a voice starts to chant the names of those who have gone before. “Phoenix, Alex, Mollie,” it says, “Max and Morgan.”  Suddenly, I run to the toilet, the ultimate,unavoidable insult.  A wail escapes my lips as the blood begins to flow and the battle is lost once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment